Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Katie Mae's Quilt






This is by far the most ambitious quilt undertaking I've done to date. When my sister Katie Mae was diagnosed with colon cancer in November of 2006, no one really knew what to do for her. It was my first understanding about how healing a quilt could be. It did not cure her of her illness and she lost her battle with cancer in May of 2009. But when I asked those who loved her to contribute pieces of fabric that reminded them of her and write a letter to her explaining their choice I never imagined the outpouring of love or the immense size of the quilt that would need to be made from these contributions. Everyday I received a box in the mail was like Christmas. I learned so much about my sister making this quilt for her and in the end the quilt told her story and gave her a daily reminder of how many people loved her. It surrounded her with that love when she wrapped she, her husband and children in it and brought back so many memories for all of us. The quilt also healed me as I found a way to do something in the most dire of situations. I could not have made the quilt without the incredible help of my aunt Kathy Gruber of Maryland and members of her Quilter's Guild who helped take the scraps and make three small quilts for my sister's children. I am forever grateful to all of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment